Thursday, September 25, 2014

Vegan Picadillo

Vegan Picadillo


This blog originally started as a means to pass on recipes to family and friends that I have made and enjoyed and wanted to share.  Somehow, along the way, it was hi-jacked into an almost all vegan recipe blog since we started eating ‘vegan at home’.  Not exactly my original idea, but one that I can live with, with minimal complaining on my part, and the occasional chocolate, butter, egg dessert.  This recipe is from the New York Times magazine and it caught my eye first because it was made with ground beef.  I love ground beef in sloppy Joes, chili, Bolognese sauce and tacos.  I am reluctant to use soy protein substitute because it seems to have so many ingredients and because I love ground beef, so I normally just avoid making anything that I would have to substitute soy protein for.  However, this recipe, Cuban Picadillo, made me reconsider.  I substituted ‘Veggie Chorizo’ and ‘Veggie Ground’, both from ‘Helen’s Kitchen’, and it was terrific: it is sweet, savory and not too spicy. My Tasting Partner said this was the best dish I had cooked in a long while (or at least since last night) and that I should consider it for my greatest hits.  

 recipe after the jump

Vegan Picadillo

4-6 servings
time: 1 hour

2 Tbls oil
2 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced

12 ounces veggie chorizo (I used Helen’s Kitchen)
12 ounces veggie ground (I used Helen’s Kitchen)
Salt and pepper to taste

4 ripe tomatoes or 28 ounces can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 Tbls red wine vinegar
1 Tbls ground cinnamon
2 teas ground cumin
2 bay leaves
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of nutmeg

2/3 cup of raisins
2/3 cup of pitted, pimento stuffed green olives, chopped

Cooked, hot rice

Pour the oil in to a large, heavy pan and set over medium high heat.  When it begins to shimmer, add the onions and garlic.  Stir to combine and cook until onions have softened, about 10 minutes.

Add the veggie chorizo (remove plastic casting) and the veggie ground, stirring until it breaks up and mixes together.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add tomatoes, vinegar, cinnamon, cumin, bay leaves, cloves and nutmeg.  Stir to combine.  Lower heat and let the stew simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes for the flavors to combine.

Uncover the pot, add raisins and olives, stir to combine and allow the stew to simmer for another 15 minutes.  Serve over cooked rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment