Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Easy Bean Sloppy Joe’s

Easy Bean Sloppy Joe's
I have been delinquent in posting, mostly because my tasting partner and I are remodeling our family home and have spent every waking hour moving out of our house and into our rental unit.  I have also been trying to sell furniture and other items that we have decided will not go in our redesigned home, so I have not had time to post.  While I was moving my kitchen out, I found some tepary beans from Rancho Gordo and a couple of packets of Lowry’s Sloppy Joe mix.  I decided to soak the tepary beans over night, cook them up in the morning with some carrots, onions and a bay leaf, and then use the cooked beans as the base for the Sloppy Joes.  This is cheating, so to speak, using a spice packet, but who has time to cook in the middle of a move?  And, instead of serving the bean mixture on buns, I served the bean version of Sloppy Joe’s over baked yams.  Delicious! 


recipe after the jump

Easy Bean Sloppy Joe’s

1 pound Tepary beans (I used Rancho Gordo)


1 onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 Bay leaves

Pick through beans, rinse and add to medium size pot, cover with at least 2 inches of water and soak over night.  Add diced onions, carrots and bay leaf to pot in the morning, and bring water to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and simmer beans until tender, about 1 ½ to 2 hours.  Drain and put aside until ready to use.

Sloppy Joe and bean mixture:

1 diced red pepper
1 TBLS of oil
2 packages of Lowry’s Sloppy Joe mix
2 – 6 ounce cans of tomato paste
2 cups of water
cooked Tepary beans from above

Heat about 1 TBSL of oil in a deep skillet, add diced red peppers and sauté until soft.  Add water, spice packets and tomato paste, stir until combined.  Add cooked Tepary beans, and stir to combine.  Heat through until warm and served over a baked yam.


Baked Yams
4 Yams, washed

Bake yams on a parchment lined sheet pan, at 350 degrees, for about 1 1//2 hours until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment