Sunday, September 15, 2013

Mushroom Risotto

Mushroom Risotto
Earlier this summer, my tasting partner and I went wine tasting in the Willamette Valley, Oregon for a week.  We had a lovely, relaxing time, biking in the morning, wine tasting during the afternoon and dining in the evenings.  One evening we went to the Joel Palmer House http://www.joelpalmerhouse.com/ and enjoyed their vegetarian mushroom tasting menu.  One of the menu items we had that night was a wild mushroom risotto which was outstanding.  The depth of flavor, the nutty, mushroomy taste with the truffle oil drizzle made this risotto unforgettable.  Once back home, I searched the internet for a similar recipe.  Much to my surprise, I found a recipe http://www.winemag.com/Recipes/Recipe-Index/index.php/name/Joel-Palmer-House-Wild-Mushroom-Risotto-with-Oregon-White-Truffle-Oil/record/4332/

I made 2 slight changes.  I used ½ of diced white onion, not dried, and the truffle oil I had on hand.  The changes I made are reflected in my recipe.  I served this risotto at a Pinot Noir wine tasting we had recently and everyone raved, including my tasting partner.

This wild mushroom risotto is not vegan, but can be made vegan by substituting a vegan ‘butter’ to use in the preparation and eliminating the parmesan cheese. 

recipe after the jump

Mushroom Risotto
adapted from The Joel Palmer House

Serves 4 as a main course
Ingredients:
½ ounce dried porcini *
1 quart water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ pound unsalted butter
1 cup Arborio rice
½ onion, diced
¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
White Truffle Oil, drizzled

* OPTIONAL:  add an additional  ½  ounce dried morel mushrooms for special occasions

Directions:
In uncovered saucepan, bring water, dried mushrooms, sugar, salt and soy sauce to boil then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until the mushrooms have re-hydrated.  Strain out the liquid and reserve. Chop the mushrooms finely.
In a medium sauté pan, over medium heat, melt the butter and add the diced onion and sauté until soft.  Add rice and chopped mushrooms. Stir for one minute then add the reserved, strained mushroom liquid. Cook uncovered and stir gently until water is absorbed and evaporated, about fifteen to twenty minutes. Fold in grated Parmesan cheese.  Drizzle lightly with truffle oil and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment