Friday, March 8, 2013

Bean Chili

Bean Chili


Before my tasting partner went on the ‘vegan at home diet’, I would have a few ‘go to’ dinners that were quick and easy to throw together, especially when I would have a busy day: rotisserie chicken (purchased at the store) with a large green salad; salmon patties (frozen from a big box store) on buns with roasted potatoes, vegetables and a salad; prepared chicken salad (from that same big box store) and a salad or finally, a hamburger for me and a veggie patty for my tasting partner.  Obviously, those options are now out the door and I have had to come up with a quick, easy, yet tasty dinner that I could throw together when I am to tired to cook, like after doing the gardening all morning long.  And, it has to be filling, since we no longer have cakes and cookies around, just waiting to be eaten.  Enter Lowery’s Chili Mix made with canned beans and diced canned tomatoes.  Easy to put together, and yes, I am using canned beans.  You can modify the beans you use to your liking but my tasting partner and I are happy with this combination.  A side note, on the Lowry’s package, the list of ingredients does include ‘cocoa powder’ at the very end, which is why this chili has a great depth of flavor, but it is important for those people who are avoiding caffeine.

recipe after the jump
Bean Chili             

2 Tablespoons oil
2 onions, diced
2 red peppers, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 packages of LOWRY’S CHILI spice and seasoning 
2 cups of water
1 can, 28 ounces, Diced Tomatoes
 can, 27 ounces, Kidney Beans, drained
2 cans, 15 ounces each, Pinto Beans, drained
2 cups of frozen corn
1 avocado, diced 

Saute onions, red peppers and garlic in large pot in 2 tablespoons of oil.  After vegetables have softened and browned slightly, add both packages of LOWRY’S Chili mix, 2 cups of water, the tomatoes and both beans and the corn.  Simmer for at least 1 hour to meld flavors.  Add more water if chili becomes too thick.  Serve topped with diced avocado.
Can be frozen and reheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment