Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Peanut butter cookies

Peanut Butter Cookies

I would never have considered making peanut butter cookies, but my tasting partner has been eating a lot of peanut butter lately, all natural, just peanuts and a little salt.  I was trying to think of ways to incorporate peanut butter into our diet and naturally thought of cookies.  These cookies are crisp on the outside and smooth on the inside, almost creamy.  My tasting partner and I both agree that these cookies are outstanding, and self control is needed in order not to over indulge. 

A side note.  When ever I make cookies, I always scoop them onto a silpat lined cookie sheet and then put in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, and usually over night, to ‘set back up’.  I have all the cookie dough balls on one sheet, and then, when I am going to bake them off, I preheat the oven and move the cookie dough balls around, using at least 2 cookie sheets, to space them out for cooking.

recipe after the jump


Peanut butter cookies
makes about 30 (1  inch round cookies)

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup peanut butter chips *

In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda and the salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla extract, mix well.  Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the peanut butter chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls (I use a #40 scoop, purple top) onto cookie sheets lined with a silpat.  See note above.

Refrigerate cookie dough for at least 2 hours (over night is better) before baking off.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (I use a convection oven so I preheated oven to 325 degrees.)  Divide cookie dough between at least 2 prepared cookie sheets, leaving space between each dough ball.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not over bake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.  Cool the cookies on the sheets for a few minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

*or you can use half chocolate chips and half peanut butter chips


No comments:

Post a Comment