Sunday, December 30, 2012

Quinoa with Butternut Squash



Quinoa with Butternut Squash
Not only is my tasting partner trying to be vegan, but a couple of our boys and their significant others are vegetarian as well, so Thanksgiving and Christmas pose a slight problem.  I serve a large number of roasted vegetables and vegetarian side dishes, but I always am looking for something to replace the turkey for vegetarians.  I have done the tofurkey route with limited success.  I personally don’t like the idea of a pretend turkey, so I have been looking for other alternatives.  Since I have been using quinoa lately, I thought this recipe would fit in nicely with my holiday menu, especially since I am already roasting butternut quash as a side.  For Thanksgiving, one of my sons girlfriend added to a recipe I had found, and I made even more changes at Christmas.  This recipe is the result.

 recipe after the jump

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for pan
1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, halved crosswise, seeded and diced or alternatively, 2 cups of diced butternut squash, purchased at a store

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 3/4 cup)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup quinoa
2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought vegetable stock

salt and pepper as needed

18 fresh sage leaves, chopped
4 tablespoons of unsalted butter


Vegetable oil, cooking spray

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 1 rimmed baking sheet with 1 teaspoon oil.

Cut squash into ½ inch dice.

Place squash on sheets. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil.  Bake until tender and golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely.

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until translucent about 3 to 5 minutes, then add quinoa and stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand, covered, for 2 minutes.

In a small sauce pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and add chopped up sage leaves. Saute until sage leaves begin to wilt, but not necessarily fried.

Stir together quinoa, diced squash, chopped sage and melted butter, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. 

Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray, spoon quinoa butternut squash mixture into prepared pie pan, smooth out and set aside until ready to serve in wedges.  This dish can be made ahead and reheated or brought up to room temperature before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment